Author: jamaapoa
•Friday, June 25, 2010
A silly goal was scored. The goal keeper did not see the ball pass him. He was just there standing between the goal post. He even seemed unaware that someone had scored a goal against him. I was walking away from a soccer match where a former schoolmate was the goal keeper. The goal looked ridiculous. All the same, it was still a legit goal. The lady scorer ran away back to her half to celebrate with her team. My former schoolmate was left bewildered just how easy that goal was scored.

I walked away from the football pitch. I went past some teams that were playing hockey. They had also stopped to wonder how easily that goal was scored. They laughed at the goalkeeper for allowing such an easy and silly goal. The goalkeeper still looked stunned from a distance. He was still transfixed at the same spot I left him.

I walked away from the hockey players. An old friend emerged from their midst and ran towards me still laughing at the goal keeper for allowing the silly goal. When he caught up with me, alongside him was a guy, in agony, remorse and tears. He looked well up. What we would refer to as a town jamaa back in the day. Trust me, back in the village we believed that all town jamaas were rich, had no problems and had all they needed.

I inquired from my friend why the town jamaa was in anguish yet he looked okay. Town Jamaa responded and said that money and things do not satisfy contrary to what my question inferred. That is when my friend told me that the kind of issues Town Jamaa had could only be solved by Town Jamaa getting saved. The reason he rushed to me to help the situation. After all, I knew the sinners prayer.

My friend dragged Town Jamaa and I out of the field. We rushed outside to look for a safe spot to lead Town Jamaa into salvation. I was thinking of a nearby church and we all ran towards it. But the kind of pain Town Jamaa had inside intensified and we all knew he would not make it to the church. We decided to do it right there on the street. We huddled on the pavement. Town Jamaa and my friend knelt down immediately waiting for me, the priest, to hurry on and save Town Jamaa.

I tried kneeling down and I could not. It was ages since I knelt down. My legs could not bend at the knee. I quickly pulled Town Jamaa up and asked him to repeat the sinners prayer after me. My friend looked at me bewildered. We used to do this kind of thing in a repentant position a.k.a kneeling. He let that go due to the emergency of the situation. He also stood up to take his place as a witness to the saving grace.

"Repeat after me, Lord Jesus, I come to you to forgive my sins", I fumbled with the sinners prayer starting words. There is a way it flowed. I had forgotten it. My friend also realised it. He started scolding me for forgetting the flow of the sinners prayer words. I started justifying my approach by saying that it did not matter which words I started with as long as I covered acknowledging Jesus power to save, the repenting, asking for forgiveness and thanking God for his gift of salvation. My friend did not agree.

At this time we opened our eyes. A crowd had formed allowed us. They were laughing at us just like they heckled us back in school. I was wondering what to do with the hecklers when Town Jamaa's deep cry of pain caught my attention. It saddened me in a judgment way that we had failed to relieve this soul of its anguish and pain. I mastered the little Christian strength I had and rebuked the hecklers. They all ran away. I turned back to Town Jamaa, this time prepared to lead him in the sinners prayer the way we used to back in the day.

All of a sudden, I was filled with inner pain and fear realizing that I could not remember the sinners prayer despite the desperate situation that Town Jamaa was sinking into.

Just then I saw on the ground in front of me a priestly robe. It was covering a cross that was lying on the ground. Who put the priestly robe and the cross on the ground? I was supposed to be wearing the robe and carrying the cross?

As I was waking up, this question was strongly in my mind: Who is leading people to Christ, has the Kenyan church fallen? Has the Kenyan church allowed a silly goal and are not even aware of it?
This entry was posted on Friday, June 25, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: